At CentricsIT, we are your IT experts. When any IT maintenance issue arises in your data center we are here to help. If there is an error code you can’t fix, let us assist you in our monthly FixIT column. This month, we’re focusing on a common VMware error code: VMware Vix 21009.
The error will display as: vix error code = 21009
This error occurs typically during an upgrade installation of VMware Tools. This is due to security restrictions that prevent an update by a guest. The guest option is automatically disabled by default. The solution should be a quick fix if you come across this error.
- If the machine is still running, shut it down
- Go to the datastore browser and find your way to the virtual machine directory
- Once you navigated your way successfully to the correct machine, use the GUI option and download the .vmx to the virtual desktop
- After downloading, be sure to make a copy of that file to the local workstation
- Open the file via a text editor program and add isolation.tools.guestInitiatedUpgrade.disable under the name section, and FALSE under the value section (see below)
If you’re experiencing further difficulties and cannot get the error to go away after following these steps, this could be a sign of a greater issue. After the above steps are completed and you’re still having trouble with the error, contact us at CentricsIT to help resolve the issue.
If you have any further questions about the vix error code = 21009, contact our dedicated IT support staff by calling us toll free at 1 (877) 531-7466. CentricsIT offers data center services including data center hardware maintenance and support, and we can help you get the most out of your data center, regardless of its size.
Want more out of your hardware support? Contact a Support Specialist at CentricsIT to employ a more proactive approach to your IT lifecycle management.